Sunday, August 23, 2009

Diana, Bill and Scrabble


Scrabble has always been one of my favorite games , maybe because I consider myself a pretty fair player. I look forward to the challenge, confident in my ability to play or block a high scoring word, and am usually the big winner against most of my opponents. That was before Diana and Bill Rivers. They have trounced me every game we've played this week. Clearly, they are very good players, putting my Scrabble skill to the test.

During the game Bill would change the tone and timber of his voice and say in his best high seas, Pirates of the Carribean syntax, "It's a wild and crazy thing, I tell you, this Scrabble scribble game". And indeed it is.

The turntable game board is carefully set on the table , one rack is placed before each player, the 100 letter tiles are put in the tile pouch and one of us gives it a good shake up and down, all around. The three of us look hopeful, expectant as we wait to draw our tile to see who goes first. It's Bill. Always Bill. If Diana and I draw an E and F, Bill draws and A. If Bill draws a T, Diana and I draw a Y or Z. That's not so bad, really. I could handle that . It was when we returned the letters to the pool and remixed ; that was the real start of my troubles. Each player is to draw seven new letters. Ideally, a combination of high point consonants and vowells is desirable, to my dismay I drew 3 U's , 3 O's , and an I. What kind of Scrabble letters are those ? What kind of points ? Not very good ones. With nothing or no where to play, I passed my first turn, re-drew but didn't fair much better. I picked 2 more O's, 2 more I's , one L, a V and N.

While Diana and Bill were off to a good start with their first and second plays; I was completely word stuck and just sat there staring at the board, then I'd look down at my tiles, then the board again. I couldn't seem to find one word to play or find one block to make. The sands in the minute glass were slipping away. I was getting nervous, but knew I had to act quickly. Deciding not to pass again , I finally added one of my I's , the V and N to Diana's E to make the word "Vein" for a mere 7 points. It wasn't much, but at least it was something.

As the game continued, and my play didn't get much better, both Diana and Bill were gracious and encouraging. Diana would sweetly say , " Oh, Kathy, don't feel badly. We all know how to play Scrabble, it's just in the luck the draw. Next game you'll do better".

Yeah, right.

I tried to recall strategy and tactics and work on rack management, remembering it is disadvantageous to keep duplicates of most letters, but I not only had duplicates, I had triplicates ! I knew my hope for victory would increase if I could just play some of those not so common Scrabble words ; Words like QI, QU, ZHO and WOX , but it never happened. Nor did I have much of an opportunity to play 'premium' squares, which mulitply the number of points awarded. Bill and Diana never gave me the chance.

By the time we finished our final game late tonight, it became clear to me the Rivers' had sent me up the river. But what a fun ride it was ! We enthusiastically agreed to another tournament next year - Same time, same place here on Dobbs' deck . I can hardly wait ! But in all fairness, I should warn Diana and Bill to beware , I plan to reclaim my Scrabble Queen crown.



No comments:

Post a Comment