Thursday, August 6, 2009

Home Grown


There's nothing better than eating that first plump red tomato picked right off the vine on a hot August afternoon. I know, because earlier this week that enjoyable edible experience was mine. All I can say is, "Yum"!
Tomatoes are usually easy to grow, even for a 'no green thumb' gardener like me. It's the most popular garden vegetable in America and a few plants provide adequate harvest for most families. Dressed in my farm girl overalls and wearing a big brimmed straw hat, I've taken special care in the last few months to fertilize, weed and water the sprawling plant. My good effort has paid off; This morning I counted 13 tomatoes !
Sliced, diced, salted and stewed; Made into a savory pasta sauce , cold soup, or mixed with fresh greens, the tasty fruit, once called, "The Love Apple" will add a delicious home grown taste to our summer meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment