Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Lunch, Movie, and a Blog

Lunch and seeing a movie with a friend makes for a pleasant afternoon. That was my experience yesterday when Liz B. and I shared a portabello and spinach quesadilla at Azteca Restaurant - the quesadilla was yummy and it was fun hearing about Liz's recent trip to Ireland and Germany. Liz was born and raised in Toronto and her speech still has remnants of her Canadian dialect, adding to the charm of her storytelling. We then caught the 1 pm showing of 'Julie and Julia' starring the ever talented Meryl Streep and Amy Adams.

The newly released film based on Julia Childs memoir "My Life in France" and Julie Powell's blog about preparing every single recipe in Childs' classic cookbook "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" is entertaining and delightful; And very inspirational to aspiring writer's like Liz and me.

To see Julia Childs' determination in getting her book published and Julie Powell's dedication to writing her blog motivates and encourages me to continue with my writing. Oh my gosh, not that I'm comparing myself to them - No, no, no. First of all, I would never attempt to cook French cuisine every day of the year. After three days of slicing, dicing, poaching and frying I'd throw in the towel. And when it comes to boiling a lobster, forget it. I don't have it in me. But I do like to write and want to improve my craft; I can only hope my writing, like playing tennis or learning to play the piano, will get better with practice. A blog is helpful because it gives me someplace to go to everyday to write . The question becomes, "What to write"? What topic ? What theme ?

Until I can decide the answer to those questions I will continue writing about the small and not so small daily events in my life - the people and places that touch my heart and warm my spirit. I will write so someday when I re-read what I wrote it will help me recall and remember the happy and exhilarating , the glad or sad mood of that moment.

1 comment:

  1. The movie was very inspiring, as is this blog. My mother used to tell me that life is made up of moments. Kathy is creating a record of moments that warm her spirit. Isn't that right up there with cooking your way through Julia Child's book? Something good will come of this effort. It is full of lovely ingredients.

    ReplyDelete