Sunday, August 30, 2009

Blog #50, Church and Proclaiming the Word



Today marks a special occasion for me; I'm posting my 50th blog. I know it's not quite like celebrating a 50th Wedding Anniversary or 50th birthday , but when I first started this exercise  April 1, 2009  I wasn't sure how long I would stick with it. Now,  in writing  my 50th blog , I'm finding  a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment knowing I have persevered with this endeavor .

Earlier today I re-read my blogs about family and friends, and other people , places and things and found myself smiling at some of the stories - I like them just as a chef might enjoy her own cooking.  At the same time I recognize my writing technique - description, dialogue, developement needs to improve. That's okay though, I'm not discouraged, not yet anyway, I'll keep on keeping on - blogging and travelling this 2 lane highway, writing about what interests me; Practicing my craft, continuing to learn more about what it takes to be a good writer.

To celebrate this 50th blog I've been thinking about what to write.   Since it's Sunday and Gary and I will soon leave for Mass at St. Thomas the Apostle in Coeur d Alene, I've decided church  would be a good  subject.

St. Thomas is one of the oldest churches in the city - the oldest and most beautiful. The grey shingled steeple towers high  above neighborhood homes, reaching high to the sky, providing a perfect landmark for Catholics and other Christians in the area. After walking up numerous steps and going through the massive double doors to enter the church, one sees the huge crucifix hanging behind the gold colored  tabernacle and marble altar - reminding us Jesus died on the cross for our sins; He is the Way, the Truth and the Life. Folks  of all denominations are invited to view the exquistite beauty of the  large, over sized stain glass windows  depicting the life of Jesus, His mother, angels and saints .

 The hymns the  choir sing  add both joy and reverence to the Liturgical celebration.  The accolades help prepare the Sanctuary by   lighting the candles. Greeters stand at the door to welcome all who enter.  At today's Mass,   I'm  the scheduled Lector . After introductory prayers and  before the celebrant, Father Bill proclaims the Gospel, I will  read passages from the old testament  and  Epistles of St.Paul.

 It seems unlikely that I should serve as Lector since in my daily, ordinary speech I talk way too fast,  and often mumble jumble my words. But when standing at the Lectern proclaiming the Word of God, my words are clear and measured, precise and well spoken.  I share this not to  brag about myself, but to give  all glory and praise to our Lord and Savior, and am reminded  we can do all things  through Him , especially when according to His plan and purpose.

Only 15 minutes until Mass begins.  I  practice reading aloud from the first chapter of James one more time:

" Dearest brothers and sisters:


All good giving and every perfect gift is from above..................... "









No comments:

Post a Comment