Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The NordicTrack , Judy Garland and Me


The days I go downstairs to use the NordicTrack, the first thing I do is pick out an album from the stack of vinyls neatly lined up across the basement baseboard . I have many favorite's including "Bye Bye Birdie", " The Music Man", "Paint Your Wagon" and "Hello Dolly", but while exercising, the one I like best is the soundtrack from the 1974 Box Office hit, "That's Entertainment".

After carefully pulling the album from its cover, I place it on the record spindle of the 1960's stereo console I purchased at St. Vincent de Paul's thrift store several years ago. The turntable is a Garrard 3000 model and in great shape; The speakers provide excellent sound . Adding to my movie music reverie are pictures of some of the great MGM musical stars and movie posters I have plastered on the walls all around me.

About five minutes into my routine, I become lost in a trance like state, and am no longer just walking in a boring step after step pattern, but am dancing with Judy Garland, Fred Astaire and June Allyson . As the Scarecrow, Tin Man, Cowardly Lion and Dorothy skip hop up the yellow brick road, I'm skip hopping with them and singing along , "We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz'.

My pace picks up and slows down depending on the song I'm listening to. As Judy sings the snappy happy lyrics from "Waiting for the Robert E. Lee":
" Go take your best gal, real pal , go to the levy, I said to the levy, and join that shuffling throng. Hear that music and song "! , I'm hearing that music and song, shuffling right along, too.
Before I know it , my 30 minutes on the Nordic Track are nearly over, but not before the grand finale. At that moment, in the make believe corner of my mind, I'm on stage performing. I grab the black brimmed hat from a hook on the center pole of the Nordic Trak and place it on my head. Then just like the great Garland in her fabulously famous 'Get Happy' song and dance in 'Summer Stock' , I pull the hat slightly forward , and tilt it down over my right eye . Now it's me dancing and singing to one of the most memorable muscial numbers of all time:

"Forget your troubles , come on get happy
You better chase all your cares away
Shout Hallelujah, come get happy
Get ready for the judgement day".






No comments:

Post a Comment