Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mary Martin, Musicals & LP Albums

An unexpected snow day today - I thought about slipping into my  Sorrel's and   snowshoes , grab my poles and funky  fleece hat  to do some shooing on the rim above the lake, but decided against it, and went  for playing vinyl albums   on  the vintage stereo  console downstairs  instead. I collect vinyl albums like some people collect coins, or stamps, or buttons. I have hundreds, and organize  into  genre - rock, pop, folk, country and musicals.  Many are displayed in album frames and decorate the walls. While album covers are part of the attraction, the real pleasure comes from listening to the recording. Not too long ago I  read an article about  vinyl albums  making a comeback, even  some  contemporary  songsters are choosing  to record on vinyl first as it has a more pure sound.  I have many favorites,  including Peggy Lee, Ella, Patti Page, Frank and Bing, Bobby Darin, Bobby Rydell, The Brother's Four and oh, so many more.


Today, starring on the turntable is the great  Mary Martin - the famed Broadway star from the 1940's and 50's. Long before Julie Andrews and  Mitzi Gaynor  filled the role in movie versions, this Tony Award winner sang  her way into the hearts of millions as  Maria  in The Sound of Music,  Nellie Forbush  from  South Pacific and  perhaps her  most endearing  -the  legendary  Peter Pan, teaching Wendy,Michael and John how to fly.




Musical story  lifts the spirit and gladdens the soul. Think about Oklahoma,  Gypsy, Camelot, Hello Dolly, West Side  Story, Man of La Mancha, Fiddler on the Roof.  How  wonderful it is to have these   original recordings to listen to over and over again, and help us grow our own  imagination

5 comments:

  1. When I see that picture of Mary Martin, I'm reminded of when Nancy and I went to the Pantages Theater on Hollywood Blvd. in the early 80's. Sandy Duncan was Peter Pan. Of course we were up in the balcony in one of the back rows. We were up there as well when we saw Richard Harris in Camelot. Did you know he converted to Catholicism?
    Over the years I've converted my LPs to mp3 via Amazon. I like being able to just select songs I like to download, rather than paying for a CD that I'll probably listen to only once. There is something romantic about the ticks and pops on LPs that grew on me over time, and actually became a part of the song. I have two that still have the original shrink wrap: Brahms' Requiem, by I-can't-remember-whom, and Still Crazy after All These Years, by Paul Simon, my college idol.
    Speaking of comebacks, CBS' Sunday Morning had a feature about manual typewriters. We have two, both somewhere in the garage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul for sharing your memories of vinyl albums and musical theater & reminding me Sandy Duncan also portrayed Peter Pan in the early 80's... in my humble opinion, a role that singularly belongs to Mary Martin :)

      Delete
  2. Ah...this takes me back to being a kid and getting my first record player. I could sit for hours and play my little collection over and over. Thanks for sparking a great memory Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember make of your first record player ? And what were some of the records in your collection ?

      Delete
  3. What great memories you write about..........it makes us all think about days long gone. thank you!!!!!!!!


    jm

    ReplyDelete