Monday, February 27, 2012

The Oscars, a Silent Movie & a Nun


Being both a long time movie buff, and practicing Catholic with a penchant for traditions and things of the church, I looked forward to watching the Academy Awards this year. I was  curious if the first silent movie since 1929 , The Artist would win the  coveted gold statue, and  God Is The Bigger Elvis , a short documentary  about Mother Dolores Hart , the one time actress who left Hollywood to become a Benedictine nun at the Abbey of Regina Laudis , could claim the Oscar in its category. Happily,one did. Sadly, the other didn't.



I  first became aware of  Dolores Hart as a teenager when she starred in the popular  movie from the 1960's,  Where The Boys Are. I thought she was wonderful  in that film, and make a point to watch it whenever it shows on Turner Classic Films.   At some point in my younger  life, when I too considered entering the convent,  I remember reading Hart gave up her promising Hollywood career to become a nun, and marveled at her conviction of God's calling.   Later I learned  she  entered  the Abbey of Regina Laudis founded by Mother Benedict in Bethlehem, Connecticut - the same Mother Benedict and Abbey loosely  portrayed  in the  delightful 1940's film , Come to the Stable , starring Loretta Young and Celeste Holm.

 Another acclaimed actress to spend  time at Regina Laudis was Patrica Neal, who  gives sole credit to her spiritual and moral recovery (with the help of God's grace)  to the influence of the nuns at the abbey, and the spiritual direction they provided. Ironically, it was Maria Cooper,  daughter of actor  Gary Cooper, and Neal's one time married  lover who brought her there.  Mother Dolores Hart was helpful in writing Neal's autobiography,  As I Am.  Neal eventually converted to Catholicism and is buried at  Regina Laudis.

While this may seem a twist away from my opening paragraph,  I share it because for me it shows how one person's generous, gracious act often  leads to paths and people unimaginable,  and the gentle  way God connects us to another without our ever  suspecting it.

My thoughts about  Mother Dolores Hart.  I admired her then, and admire her now for her example of faith and commitment to her vocational calling, and how she inspires others with her joyful spirit to remain committed and faithful  to their  calling ,  whether it be  religious life,  single life,  or married life.

*** Click this link for a  recent news clip featuring Mother Dolores Hart   http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/storm-slams-24-states-15787447?tab=9482930&section=1206853&playlist=1363340


3 comments:

  1. What a great Lady! Thank You for writing about Mother Dolores Hart. An example for all. I always seem to learn so much from the subjects you write about...............awesome1


    jm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy learning what motivates people to succeed and obviously in Sr. Dolores Hart's case it was her devotion to God....I'd say she's a winner in the Catholic category!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, jm & Patty for your comments..i agree with both of you, Mother Dolores is an example for all, and winner in the Catholic category :)

    ReplyDelete