Friday, February 5, 2010

A WALK IN THE WOODS

Most  of  the morning, into early afternoon I sat at my PC placing  ads  on the Internet to help promote our HealthQuest Nutrition web site (www.healthquestnutrition.com); not a difficult task, but time consuming and tiring.

After spending two hours on one site writing copy , trying (unsuccessfully) to upload a picture and hitting a key to continue, only to lose the page due to some kind of input error,  I finally had enough. I  threw my hands up and  shouted  a few unsavory expletives.  In a few minutes I  turned my head towards the window to  see two deer standing near; The openness, the freedom of the outside calling me forward.

My response was immediate. I got up from my chair, slipped on my North Face fleece, grabbed my Patagonia light weight rain jacket and knit gloves then headed out the front door. The early days of February are still cool, but no mounds of snow like last year and the year before; Only soft, muddy ground from too much rain and no sun.

For me, whatever the weather, walking in Dobbs' Woods always cheers me and makes me glad. I think about the pilgrim wanderers of Walden's Pond and Muir Woods and wonder about their delight in seeing the breath and bounty of the land in all its natural grandeur. This day I traverse back and forth across the treed slope , forging my own path to the ragged rim overlooking Rockford Bay. The low laying clouds and pastel colors highlighting portions of the lake make it appear other worldly; Mystical. I breath in the cool, fresh air and am awed by its beauty.

Coppery looking pine needles and broken tree limbs from winter winds are scattered across the wet earth; tiny sprouts of green grass have started to push forth, hoping for spring.

A few days ago I observed what I thought were cougar tracks on the long rock road leading to our home, so I keep my eyes downward, searching the ground to see what I might find; Sometimes even kneeling to get a closer look. Nothing out of the ordinary,though. Only the usual deer and dog prints.

It is quiet. Still. The only sound , the clicking of my camera lens when I stop to take a picture. I'd like to linger, hike another trail, but it'll be getting dark soon so I turn and head back. No longer frustrated or feverish with angst, but refreshed and relaxed.






1 comment:

  1. Beautifull! I think people living in cities, rushing off to work and sitting in traffic jams could become addicted to this blog. It reads like morning meditations we used to have at summer camp. A speaker would provide food for thought, usually about the beauty of nature followed by us children putting our heads down on the table while a violin and piano piece soothed our restless minds.

    ReplyDelete