Wednesday, February 17, 2010

IN THE END

For many Christians Ash Wednesday begins the first day of  Lent - a time set aside by the church  for the faithful to repent, and reflect on the passion of Christ  that ultimately leads  to His glorious resurrection on Easter morning.

From a  very young age I remember attending Ash Wednesday services and having  the parish priest  mark   my forehead   with blessed ashes   while he intoned the passage from scripture, " From ashes you came, to ashes you shall return".  I must admit, it wasnt't until I was older and gained spiritual maturity that I understood this practice was to remind us of our own  immortality.  A rather sobering thought.

 Perhaps that's one reason so many of us study geneology, Scrapbook, blog and journal; Even try to connect with others on Face Book, My Space and pursue certain long lasting  endeavors.  It's an effort to  be remembered, to leave something of ourselves on this earth after we're no longer here. But in the end,   it won't mean a thing what we leave behind,only how we've lived our life; Loving, sharing, caring. Believing in God, trusting in our Maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment