Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Flowers or Showers

Is it "April Showers bring May flowers" - or more showers? Since the first of May we've seen little of the flowers and more of the showers here at Dobbs' Retreat. Waking to early morning sprinkles and grey covered skies, a little bit of sun finally streams its way thru broken clouds around mid day - but not for long. An hour or so later a mighty wind and heavy rain drops hit the hard ground sounding like nervous fingers rhythmically tapping a desktop.

It's not enough though, to scare my mountain man husband and me from staying outside to dig holes, mulch, plant, and transplant; Lilac bushes,Rose bushes, Smoke trees,Geraniums.

There's something uplifting and healing working the earth with our hands while nature and weather weilds its way around us. I'm wet and chilled from the rain, yet I feel joyful; I glance over at my garden bicycle leaning against the house and think of the happy scene with Paul Newman (Butch) riding his bike in the movie 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' and start singing to myself,

"Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red
Cryin's not for me
'Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'
Because I'm free
Nothin's worryin' me"

After a few minutes I grab the shovel, take a deep breath and somehow know showers today, flowers tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment