Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Doe and Daisies

Yesterday evening I was still outside pulling weeds and planting Gerbera Daisies in clay pots when I felt the presence of someone , or something starring at me. Startled, I turned around to see it was only one of the many doe that frequent Dobbs' Retreat. We made eye contact and for several minutes she stood perfectly still looking at me while I stood looking at her. I never tire of seeing these lovely creatures and the way they move with grace and speed. Having already shed her wintry brownish grey coat she was wearing a reddish brown color for spring and summer; there was a marking in the shape of a teardrop diamond in the center of her forehead. The peaceful moment was soon broken by a gust of wind breezing thru the trees, the doe moved her ears like an antennae changing direction to find the right signal, and quickly lifted her white bushy tail, turned to the right then dashed like a sprint runner into the woods.

Returning to my pots and flowers I recalled a special time when my son Gavin was in the second grade and won first place in the Write On Idaho! essay contest; it was on display for a week at the Idaho state capitol. We lived in Bonners Ferry at the time - about a 10 hour drive to Boise - so didn't get a chance to see it first hand, but state officials were kind enough to take pictures of his essay hanging in the great Capitol hall and send to us.

It was my evening encounter with the doe, our eye to eye contact that brought Gavin's writing to mind:

"WHITE TAIL DEER"
by Gavin Dobbs
(written in 1993, Evergreen School - 2nd grade)

Ah, the white tail deer, one of the bobcats most favorite prey!
The collar on its tail is like a black line running through
the snow.
Even at zoo's they are adored by so many people.
But if these deer are so beautiful,
why are hunters so determined to kill this kind of deer ?
Only our God knows.

This evening I'll be back outside filling pots with more daisies, and who knows? Maybe the doe will stop by too

No comments:

Post a Comment