Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mary Stewart's e-mail

Whenever I see an email from Mary Stewart with Sad News in the subject line,  I know to prepare myself to  find  a name once familiar from high school days, one who has  passed away.

Each name brings a sadness, and  bittersweet remembrance - like looking through a scrap book  of  photo's from a youthful long ago time and place.  There seems to be so many names of late. Barbara,  Brad and Sharlene;  Ed and Dennis.  Margaret's brother, Bill, and my brother, Walt - only to name a few.  And now,  added to the list,  Nancy's sister, Janet Smith.

  Is it because we're the class of the 1960's and 70's , and growing older with each passing year ? Is that why so many  Sad News names appear?   I recall each one, and see them through  memory's eye, remembering their place in my life, grateful for the times we  shared. I  ponder, and wonder, "Where did  time go?"  How quickly it slipped by.

I didn't know Janet well, I knew her younger  sister better. What I do remember is Janet was a Bell High cheerleader, Homecoming princess and  all around popular gal, someone my sophomore girlfriends and I  looked up to, admired, and wanted to emulate.   In a funny sort of way,  Janet, without her knowing it ,  was one  who made our early  high school days seem hopeful and exciting, full of possibility and fun. She always seemed to be smiling, and whenever she  passed us   in the hall, she  always took a moment to nod, and say hello. Janet  was an example  of how good   high school life could be.

Whether the best of friends, or only an acquaintance for a period of time,  let us who know the name  on Mary's Sad News emails  remember, and appreciate  they are part of our story,  of who we were, and who we've become.

Janet Smith  Collier   RIP +

No comments:

Post a Comment