Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Blogger Friends at Mary Jane's



(L. to R.) Jennifer, Jenny, Liz, Mary Jane, Nancy, Kathy

When Mary Jane invited her fellow Writing North Idaho bloggers to spend the day at her  cabin in Newman Lake to rest and relax, and have some quality time with  one another,  each of us jumped at the chance.  After Mary Jane  wrote,  our cabin has  a reputation for serving strawberry margaritas on hot summer days,  we smiled all the more !

 We are women friends with different backgrounds, but compatible.   Well disposed. Whimsical. Writers.  To  spend  uninterrupted, unhurried time together sounded like the perfect get a way.  It didn't disappoint. Ours was a  lovely, leisure afternoon  of sharing stories  about home, husbands and blogs. We talked of books (The Picture of Dorian Gray, Ulysses, Loving Frank)  and authors (Oscar Wilde, James Joyce, Hemingway and Virginia Woolf),  and programming on HGTV.






Mary Jane's husband, Larry patiently captained his all female crew across the lake in his classic '72 hard cover Sabre Craft  ( the interior seats are   upholstered  in a very cool  vinyl  turquoise and   reminded me of pictures of boats I had seen  in magazine ads from the 1950's)  for  sandwiches and chips at a little place called Cherokee's. Just the kind of small  rustic cafe  you'd expect to find at a lake side camp resort. Friendly service, eager to please.

Before heading back to the cabin, Lizzie B. and I stopped to play tether ball.  Our pals stood by,  cheering  us on. Prior to lunch  I had mentioned I  played lots of tether ball during my youth, even being named tether ball champion one summer at the park I played at so often.  Liz was unfamiliar with tether ball, but proved to be a good sport, indulging me in my old(er) age fantasy of still thinking I could play tether ball like I was a 12 year old kid.


The  day ended too soon. We bid our farewells, and now can only look back at what is a happy memory of afternoon  fun,  and growing our friendship at Mary Jane's cabin at  Honeymoon Bay (Newman Lake).









2 comments:

  1. Thank you for bringing back fine memories of our special day. I think the blogettes attained a new height that day, and I had a great whack at tetherball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun group of friends......now that is grand!
    jm

    ReplyDelete