Thursday, March 11, 2010

THE WOMEN



I know one woman  who is celebrating her 95th birthday today and another who will celebrate her 94th  on Saturday.  If my maternal grandmother was still alive, she'd  be celebrating her 94th birthday this year,  too - in July.  In remembering  Mrs. Wagner, Gladys and Grandma Viv I'm drawn to think about all the women  who have touched my life; Each leaving their imprint, their impact, their influence with me.




The first, and most important is my mother.  From the moment I entered the world I  knew her unconditional love and have always been guided by her words of wisdom and understanding heart. Also near were my  grandmothers, great-grandmothers, and aunts imparting to me  in  their light hearted, good natured way the lessons of joyful living.  Each of these women were courageous, persevering, kind, and easy to laugh. Traits I admire and wish I practiced more.




 After my great Aunt Nor was diagnosed with Glaucoma and her sight was dimming, yet not totally gone, she  went shopping at Brandeis's - a  department store in Omaha, the city of my birth.   As she told the story , I could picture  my slim and trim, well manicured,  classy  aunt    approach  the escalator then suddenly stop;  Frozen like an ice sculpture, unable to move and  gripped with fear  that if she stepped onto the escalator 'going up'  she would  stumble and fall. 

 After a few minutes, Aunt Nor  chided herself, " If I don't use this  escalator now,  I'll never  use  it again".  At that moment my great aunt  made a  life changing decision. She  mustered her courage,  made the effort and took the step onto the escalator.  Not a 'giant step for mankind', but certainly a giant step for my aunt,  and one for her niece as I recall my aunt's tale of courage whenever I'm frozen with fear and afraid to take that step forward.

Women  love their  dads, husbands and brothers but what would we be without the women in our lives ?  Those who gave  us guidance, encouragement and example of  life experience well lived .   I'm ever grateful to the mothers of  girlfriends, mothers like Mrs. Wagner who remained  steadfast and true during our   growing up  years -  to  Sisters of Notre Dame, the order of nuns who selflessly gave me my  early education and helped foster  my Catholic faith,  to women coaches who saw in me something special,  pushing  me to  excel to the best of my ability;  To women work friends like Gladys,  and Doris Outz  who constantly reminded me not to take myself too seriously, just  to be myself and I'd find success ; To life long family female friends, both living and dead; Women I dearly love  - wonderful and whimsical women who made a definite  difference in my life, helping  me grow and  become the woman I am today.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing a fine tribute and sweet photos of the wonderful women in your life. You spark memories of those who made forever heart-prints in mine and whose spirit I try to honor by remembering lessons they taught.

    ReplyDelete