Sunday, March 14, 2010

Mothers, Daughters, a Grand-Daughter and Friends

Friday was a fun and happy day.  My mom n' me  drove from her home in Clarkston to Pomeroy. The weather completely cooperated  as there was no wind, rain or fog - but  skies bright and sunny, with warmer  temperatures than the day before.

It's not unusual for mother and me to have a fun day together,  but this day was particularly special because we met Sandy, her  darling daughter Kristen and grand-daughter, Josie  - who could easily be mistaken for one of those picture perfect 'Gerber Babies'; That's no exaggeration.   With her big blue eyes, round rosy cheeks and sweet smile, Josie is a charmer.  She makes anyone standing near want to pick her up, hold her close to their heart and  simply love her.

Sandy and I have been friends since our early high school days  - dating the same boys, going to Friday afternoon  football games  , attending  school dances   and  part of the same clique.  While I have seen Sandy several times over the years, it's been 40 years since my mother and Sandy last saw each other. It was  a tender moment to hear Sandy squeal , " Mrs. Cooney ! ", and  as they embraced,  my mother's reply, " Sandy!, how happy I am to see you !"

As we lunched, shopped and enjoyed each others company, my mom said to Kristen, " I see so much  of your mother in you". Then turned to Sandy and me, " It's almost as time hasn't passed. Watching you two  laughing and talking  together warms my heart; It's like seeing you when you were teenagers having so much fun".

Time does pass, however,  and we have grown older - much closer to 60 not 16,  but we're blessed in the connections that bind us, the memories that keep us together,  and the present we still share.

No comments:

Post a Comment