Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sea Shell's and a Book

I was pleasantly surprised the other day when my friend Paula gave me a book and little bag of sea shells that once belonged to her mother, Dori. Dori passed away a year ago, making Paula's gift to me even more dear, especially since I know Paula and her mother were very close.

Paula suggested I read the book in one setting, periodically pausing to pick up one of the sea shells to observe and connect them with the author's life living comparison. My friend lifted me  futher by telling me Anne Morrow Lindbergh's memoir, "The Gift From the Sea" reminded her of my style of writing. Whoa ! I could hardly wait to open the book and start reading.

The original 1955 copyright was re-published in 1975 as a 'Twentieth Anniversary Edition'. Paula was right to have me read it in one setting; Once I started I couldn't put it down. I found Lindbergh's memoir both poignant and practical: Her words of wisdom aimed towards women, timely and timeless.

In Chapter III, titled, 'Moon Shell' Lindbergh writes, " Now, instead of planting our solitude with our own dream blossoms, we choke the space with continuous music, chatter,and companionship to which we do not even listen. It is simply there to fill a vacuum. When the noise stops there is no inner music to take its place. We must re-learn to be alone. Actually, these are among the most important times in one's life - when one is alone. Certain springs are tapped only when we are alone. The artist knows he must be alone to create;the writer, to work out his thoughts; the musician, to compose; the saint to pray. But women need solitude in order to find again the true essence of themselves;that firm strand which will be the indespensable center of a whole web of human relationships."

I believe Lindbergh is saying, we are daughters and wives; Mothers and grandmothers; Employees, entrepreneur's and faithful friends. But in order to be who we are, what we are, we must retain a place of solitude and quiet within ourselves. For without taking the time to renew and refresh our spirit, how can we continue giving all we have to give?

Concluding chapter VI, "Argonauta" ( a certain rare beach world creature), Lindbergh writes, "Perhaps this is the most important thing for me to take back from beach living: simply the memory that each cycle of the tide is valid; each cycle of the wave is valid; each cycle of the relationship is valid. And my shells ? I can sweep them all into my pocket. They are only there to remind me that the sea recedes and returns eternally."

I pause now, as Paula wanted me to and pick up Dori's bag of shells, holding each one in my hand. I sit for several minutes studying the way they look, all different shapes, and sizes and colors; one round and smooth, another rough and prickly, one twisted and turned in, another wide open. For me they represent the the people and times of my life. I smile and better understand Lindbegh's words, "They are only there to remind me that the sea recedes and returns eternally." Not unlike the special people I have known throughout my life - those special ones who recede and return eternally. A very comforting thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment