Saturday, October 31, 2009

Trio of Trees , a Skier and Halloween Sound Effects


It is blowy and blustery this morning. I'm perched at my private spot on the old log swing to gaze at the bay and autumn scenery that surrounds me. The ground is wet from the rain last night; The moss covered basalt beneath my feet, and along the rim of the escarpment makes me think of green velvet and Ireland - at least the Ireland I envision in my mind.

Some of the trees have changed color again , from a burnt orange to mustard yellow. Three white pines, the same three I've looked at a hundred times catch my attention as they sway back and forth in the wind. They stand close together, their branches intertwined. Is it my imagination ? or are they really happy and smiling, like a trio of friends with their arms around each other, grooving and moving to an old Leslie Gore song.

Unexpectantly and without warning the humming of a gas engine breaks my reverie. I can hardly believe my eyes when I see a lone boat pulling a skier , close to shore. I look more closely, the skier is wearing a wet suit, but his sudden crash, splash into the water makes me shiver. I zip my jacket and pull the collar closer around my neck. A sliver of sunshine peeks through the crowded, darkly clouded sky but quickly disappears. The lake , not the pretty blue of summer seems foreboding and black, like charcoal. I think again of the skier who is now long gone, disappearing like a thief in the night , and wonder why he chose this cool, chilly day to go skiing. The sound of the wind billowing through the trees grows louder, more menacing - perfect sound effects for this Halloween day.

No comments:

Post a Comment