Monday, October 12, 2009

In Good Company

The double glass doors leading
to my place of solace
are open wide, allowing me to see the flame of the fire
in the wood burning stove, and feel its warmth
Comfortable, content
I sit cocoon like in this room of music
and books reading poetry
Quietly, silently at first,
then aloud, that I might
give voice to the phrase, the force
of Francois Villon - the edgy French poet
writing his The Great Testament in the long ago
year of 1461 with levity, and not a little pathos
and John Keats, the beloved Romantic , a favorite of
Fanny and future pursuers of poem
and Emily Dickinson, the famed Belle of Amherst
and Marge Piercy, cool and contemporary;
All good company on this golden hued
October day where
muted fall colors filter through
slat covered windows
casting dancing shadows
from ceiling to floor .
I pause to contemplate
the poet's written words
woven together
to make the perfect poem
and know I, and the world are in a
better place
for their gift to create

No comments:

Post a Comment