Friday, October 30, 2009

Daily Routine

It is 6:30 a.m. , but outside is still dark like the middle of the night. Except for the occasional crackle of wood burning in the wood burning stove the house is quiet. I've read my morning Devotional (the one my friend Susan sends me each month), and have said my prayers. I think of my family, my friends, my home and thank God for the start of this new day and am glad and grateful for this moment, this time, this place, this space; For all that I have, all that I am. Yet, I want to grow. Be better than I am. A better wife, better mother, better daughter, better friend. Not so selfish, possessive or harbor er of past hurts, but light hearted and uplifting, giving to others an encouraging word.

Soon Gary will awaken and we'll begin the routine of our day; A cup of coffee, a game of Cribbage, the morning news. The phone will ring. It will be my mother asking how I am. Soon my son will walk up the stairs letting us know he's home from long hours working Night Auditor at the Holiday Inn. He'll share a funny story or two about rowdy hotel guests, then head for bed.

Our dogs, Sam E. Beagle and Missy scratch at the front door letting me know they're ready to go on a walk. I rub them behind their ears and pet their head, telling them to be patient, we can't go until I fill the feeders and the birds are fed.

It seems simple and easy, and it is. This everyday, ordinary life of mine. Some may long for something more glamorous and exciting, but for me, the routine of my day suits me fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment