Wednesday, July 1, 2009

HOME

It is 7 a.m. The sun is bright, the air feels cool and clean. The scent of pine and brush is all about me - a summer smell.

I have already filled the feeders with seed; A Grosbeak and Finches are first on the scene. Soon the Starlings arrive then the mighty Blue Jay makes his presence known. A small but speedy hummingbird spots the flower shaped glass bottle hanging from one of the limbs of the tree, and quickly moves from opening to opening until it gets its fill of the sweet sugary, red colored mixture.

As I chant over and over again, "Here turk, turk, turk", I feel like a farm girl as I toss grain from my bucket onto the ground - the resident turkeys hurry, scurry close to where I'm standing; Heads bopping up and down they waste no time before starting to pick and scratch for the coveted kernals.

While watering pots of purple pansies and red geraniums Sam E. Beagle and Missy dog greet me with wagging tails; They nudge my hand letting me know they're ready for their morning biscuit.

My husband joins me on the deck and sips coffee from his Starbucks cup; We admire the beauty of the lake and talk about our plans for the day.

The poet Edgar A. Guest wrote :

" This little world of ours wherein we live
Holds now the richest joys which life can give"

The simple pleasures of home bring such delight and solace to the soul. Routine, common place moments often taken for granted, but upon reflection worth more than the weight of gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment