Monday, July 27, 2009

Gifts of Friendship


My Magpie pal and I have been exchanging birthday and Christmas gifts for over 30 years. The first birthday gift Phyllis gave me was a Wilson tennis racket in 1972. I remember being totally surprised and overjoyed at receiving such a wonderful present - I always credited that racquet with helping to improve my game.

Since then there have been many gifts between us; Some the 'perfect' gift, some not so perfect. It didn't matter if it was expensive or inexpensive, big or small - what was always important and meaningful about the gifts was the love and care, the time and effort given in trying to choose just the right something for a cherished friend. Over the years our gift remembrance became part of our friendship tradition.

So I was taken back somewhat when my Magpal recently said she no longer wanted to exchange gifts as it took too much time and was too difficult to pick out things the other would like. It made me sad not because of the gift itself, but what it represented - the end of something we did for one another, something we had shared for such a long time; Something that said , " I took the time, I picked this out especially for you, because you're special to me".

Phyllis' birthday is next month and it's been hard for me to pass by a little trinket, bracelet or pair of earrings I think she would like - after all, the fun of gifts isn't just in the getting, but in the giving, too.

Instead I find myself thinking about

Gifts of the heart;
Life, love, time and laughter
The gift of joy
the gift of tears
the gift of friendship
thru the years

and know these are the gifts I wish forever for my forever friend.

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful. Time marches on and unforunately there is no way to stop it. I feel the same way that Phyllis does. I no longer exchange gifts. For me it's torture to try and find the perfect gift for someone I care about. I never feel like I can succeed, that I may have bought the wrong thing. I hate to disappoint someone with something they don't like. So for me I very seldom exchange gifts.
    But if you feel so strongly about giving a gift I'd say go for it and just let your friend know that it came from your heart and that you just couldn't resist the gift that you found. Let her know that you don't want anything in exchange. Eventually you'll get used to it.

    ReplyDelete