Thursday, July 9, 2009

Beagle Sam


Sam greets me each morning with the same happy wag of his mostly white tail; It moves back and forth like a metronome setting on a piano keeping time for a practicing student. Always faithful, always true, Sam never complains or debates my point of view. I respond with the same glad to see you, too words, "Sam E. Pajammy, do you want a treat"? He watches and waits as I grab a peanut butter flavored bone from the bag of bones I keep in the kitchen cabinet under the sink. It only takes a second or two for Sam to move to his favorite spot on the family room floor to enjoy his biscuit, then a few minutes later he leisurly strides to where I'm sitting and burrows his muzzle into my lap, letting me know he's ready for the 'scratch behind the ears' routine.

Beagles are known to be obstinate, and Sam E. can sometimes be just that, but mostly he's good natured and sweet. My Sam is getting older and isn't as fit and trim as he once was, but he's still handsome to me. And although he cherishes his naps and likes to laze around, he still likes to go where I go and do what I do. The moment I say, "Let's go for a walk", Sam never hesitates but lifts his Snoopy shaped head and stands up and stretches. Then, like a puppy on a new adventure he swiftly scampers down the trail, with me not far behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment