Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Cast Your Cares

When the dark of night seems long
and sleep escapes me
because thoughts unwelcome
replay again and again
in my head - I try to
divert worries about
my mothers health,
my fathers health,
my husbands well being,
my sons well being
about present day finances,
and future concerns;
Wars, and rumors of war;
 and the sad state
of world affairs by thinking
of a  movie I saw, a
song I heard or book
I read. Sometimes I practice
a method dear Grandma Cooney
used when she had trouble
falling asleep - to mentally name all the
presidents of the United States in
proper order. This night,  I find
by the  time I get to
Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanan
I'm more awake than ever.  It's
only when I open my eyes to
see soft colored moonlight
stream through an opening
in the slated shade
opposite the king size bed
my husband and I share
that I'm reminded
of the perfect Light , Jesus Christ
and how I can cast all
my cares on Him, because
He careth  for me, and  for all (1 Peter 5:7)
The worrisome thoughts once
twirling and swirling around
like an enemy wanting to
deprive  me of sleep
are quieted now. The peace of
The Lord fills my soul, and sweetly,
sleep comes


8 comments:

  1. Love it, our only peace comes from the Prince of Peace Jesus Christ, great post kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JoAnne Provost! May the peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you & your family always+

      Delete
  2. How true, Kath...how true. We all too often forget that we are not in control. Give our worries to God. Thanks for a wonderful reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Patty, from time to time we all need a reminder... Even so, we trust The Lord is with us, all ways always

      Delete
  3. I empathize with you there. Thanks for writing that.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote a comment yesterday but it is not showing so here goes. In my heart you are such an inspirational writer thank you for that. I so enjoy reading your articles and hope you will continue for many, many years to come. You always find the most interesting things to write about.

    jm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy! Thank you for your encouraging words

    ReplyDelete