Saturday, July 30, 2011

Hawaii (& other trips ) With Dad


                      (My dad and me.  First journey together, a trip down the front door steps)


   It wasn’t unusual for the phone to ring on my office desk  at the Downey Call-Enterprise  early Monday morning, what was unusual  was to hear whose voice it was on the other end. 

“Kathy, it’s  your dad.” 

“Yes.  Hi ,  dad.” 
 
    Because my father lived in St. Louis, and it wasn’t his habit to call me at work, my first thought was to ask if everything was okay.  It was.  
    "I’ve got a  business meeting  with a client in Hawaii”, he said, “and would like  you to join me. How about it ?  Can  you get Thursday and Friday off ?   We’ll depart LAX Wednesday evening with a return flight Sunday night.”

    I had gone on other trips with my Dad, one when I was only  eight years old.  We  drove to Salt Lake City   from our  two bedroom duplex in Bell, California to attend my Uncle Pep’s outdoor  wedding. Mom  had a serious  eye infection so she and  my brother, Walt was unable to go.  For Dad n' me, it  was fun time.   Although,  I'm not sure how much company I was for dad, since I slept so much of the way.    We travelled in our  bright red ‘57 Chevy.  It reminded me of Christmas with it’s shiny silver like chrome trim.  Even at my young age I thought it was very cool,  and wonder  if dad had any idea then, our  '57 Chevy  would one day be a  classic !

    Another trip  Dad and I took  together was  June 14,  1968. The day after my high school graduation.  We flew to San Francisco to visit a college in Marin County I hoped to attend in the Fall.  My emotions were raw, giving way to typical teenage dramatics. Not only was I tired  from attending the all night party at Disneyland,  I fretted    my comfortable  and familiar life at Bell High was ending ,  and was sad I'd  no longer be part of it. I worried about the future.   Dad was his usual optimistic self, and very encouraging, telling me   my future was bright, and I had much to look forward to. How right he was !, and how grateful I am for his promising words of encouragement.




     But  our trip to Hawaii was truly special ! Dad and I had  fabulous fun exploring the Aloha state,  taking in main attractions on both Oahu and Kauai;   Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, Banyan Trees,  the Fern Grotto, and Upside Down Falls. We ate Poi at the Polynesian Culture Center,   juicy pineapple at Dole Plantation, and sipped  refreshing Pina Colada’s    on the white sand of Poipu Beach.    I always thought if Dad didn’t have a  successful career in marketing,  he would have made an excellent travel planner or tour guide ! He's the best at seeking out, and finding the most interesting places to visit.

 
      After sightseeing all day Saturday,  we had  dinner that night   with Dad’s client  and his wife at a small  Japanese restaurant  tucked away  in a corner of Honolulu far away  from the tourist filled  high rise hotels, and well worn  Waikiki path. It didn’t take long for Dad and I to recognize we were the only Anglo’s there,  and only three of us were speaking English—Dad, Dad’s client and me.  Petite Japanese women wore kimonos, and bowed  their head each time  they greeted us, and  lots of tea and Saki being served .  With our   look a like dark  brown eyes, dad and I  smiled at each other, as if in silent agreement  acknowledging  it was a  most  charming evening. Later that night I reflected on how different  it was in the 1940's , when Japan and the United States were at war, and how much better it is  now  that we're friends and allies , able to  enjoy meals, music and laughter  together.

 
     For me, my  Hawaii holiday with Dad ranks  high on my list of favorite times,   not only because it was spontaneous, and such a happy surprise ,  or  because of  all the special sights we saw,  but because I was with my dad;  neither one of us had been to Hawaii before,  it was a first time experience we shared together, and  now , like a warm tropical  breeze, the sweet memory of our island adventure  gently lingers on, and makes me hungry for fresh pineapple, and another trip with Dad !






.




























































































No comments:

Post a Comment