Thursday, April 21, 2011

Another Take on Washing Feet


In my last blog I shared the happy experience of having my first pedicure and how Hannah took each foot, bathed them in a bowl of water,  and wiped them dry. There was something about her gentle, caring way that reminded me of how Jesus washed the feet of the apostles.  Even more so today,  as it's Holy Thursday. This night Christians  around the world commemorate Jesus' humble act - the washing of feet.

At first Peter squawked, " You, Lord? Wash my feet ?  No way!", but  Jesus kindly  rebuked him, " If I do not wash you, you have no part of me." Peter answered, "Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and head."


Jesus was showing by example the importance of serving others, and of allowing others to serve us. Sometimes, isn't just hard to let others do for us?  We feel less independent, less in control, less powerful; Embarrassed, and even unworthy.   But isn't  that the point?  Recognizing in some way we are all a broken people, only made whole again by allowing another to minister to us at certain times in our life ?  Isn't that what Jesus was saying  to Peter,  when we serve, and allow another to serve us,  we truly become a part of each other.

When you let me take, I'm grateful.
When you let me give, I'm blessed
- Author unknown


The nature of love is to humble oneself
-St. Therese


1 comment: