Monday, April 12, 2010

My Husband's Hands

After saying good bye to early morning guests, my husband and I   finish  up with a few routine chores, then meet  in our front room to sit quietly; Peaceful  and serene.  No music or sounds from the T.V., just our own voices if we choose to talk,  and time to listen to one another.  No hurry, no rush.  Sharing years together and knowing each other well,  we're not compelled to speak, but comfortable with our silence. 

Some days we sit on the sofa next to each other , reading a book or sharing a Bible verse.  This day Gary sits on the sofa alone,  while I sit on the chair, closer to the fire  opposite him.  I can tell he's lost in thought looking at the wooded  view through the window.  While he's looking at   the lake and trees, contemplating their natural beauty,  I look  at him, contemplating  the good man he is.

I observe his hands still  steady and strong; hands that lifted his  sons, encouraging them with words of wisdom and unconditional love.  Hands that have  embraced me , his wife of 32 years,  giving me strength whenever I've been anxious and  afraid. Hands so willing to help another, whether  friend or stranger - whenever they're in need.

I think how much I  admire this man who  believes a man's word is his bond, and lives life following that creed ,who places  hands together and bends a knee , giving thanks  to God for the blessing of  our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment