Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Winter Night's Walk

Late Christmas eve, after celebrating Mass and the festivities of our fun home-spun get together, my friend Jeanne and me walked down the long wintry road near my home - slightly ahead of us , our dogs gleefully raced one after the other. The outside smell was clean and fresh. My lungs expanded as I took in a deep breath. The cold, clear air felt good. Bundled up in outer wear designed to keep one warm in freezing temperatures, we stopped midway to take in the beauty all around us - to admire the bright moon giving light to the night time snow covering the ground.

We agreed that looking across the field was like looking at a billion Swarovski crystals sparkling on a sheet of silky white. Breathtaking. Brilliant. Wonderful.

It was so peaceful. In no hurry to move from where we were standing, we let many minutes pass before we started walking again

All was quiet; Still. No sound to be heard, but the sound of our own voices as we exclaimed the natural splendor of this north Idaho scene, and I couldn't help but wonder if this silent night was so unlike the night the Christ Child was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment