Thursday, December 17, 2009

Standing Near

Yesterday afternoon while I was window shopping and enjoying the holiday lights twinkling and tinkling along Sherman Avenue I overheard a sad story about a middle aged woman lost and forlorn - alienated, separted , disengaged from the family she loves. I didn't mean to listen in on the woman's conversation with her companion, but there we were standing together in front of "All Things Irish" , and the woman's voice was loud. Not wanting to intrude or appear an eavesdropper, I soon turned and walked away.

Life can be so fragile, the heart easily bruised
and broken by
unkind words
harshly spoken
thoughtless deeds
needlessly done.
Pride and envy
the enemy leading
the way to friendships
ruin. But more than that
ridicule and contant criticizm
break the spirit
like a weight around the
ankles causing one
to drown.
How much better
to encourage, to exhort,
lift up, build up
cheering one to
carry on; To persevere
with the duties of life
and dream dreams
of successful endeavor.
My hope, my prayer
this Christmas season and
every season is for
those weary souls
isolated and alone
to be reunited, reborn, renewed
by a touch of the hand, a warm
embrace, a caring look one to
the other, saying
Oh! sweet darling dear one
you matter to me ;
I'm glad you're here, standing near.

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, This is very beautiful, deep and moving. Very loving. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! That is a truly inspiring message.

    ReplyDelete