Thursday, February 27, 2020

A Picture of Dementia



                                                         

This day ....
    At 7a.m. I help my husband out of bed, into the bathroom , then to his recliner chair across the hall in the  den ; I cover him with his favorite blanket  (as he’s always cold ) . He asks  for a Pepsi , he takes one sip , and within 10 minutes is sound asleep. 
At 10:30 a.m. Sam, the shower aid  arrives , at 11:00 a.m. the Hospice nurse,
and  later the Chaplain stops by just to check in to see how Gary is getting along, and
how I am doing. He prays  over Gary. At 12:30 p.m. I give Gary his lunch .  
   Being such a lovely, sunny day I think Gary will enjoy getting out of the house .  I help him get his jacket on , out the front door , down the ramp , into the car .  We drive past Rick’s Family Market on Highland  to  downtown 6th St. , over to Bridge, back up 13th .   And Gary did enjoy.  Streets, 
and places we’ve driven by hundreds of times . But within a short time , Gary said he was confused , and didn’t know where he was , asking if I knew where we were , and where we were going .  I assure him I did . But as all those caring for Dementia patients know , emotions, memory process, mood can change for the one being cared for with a snap of the finger .  
Gary asks me what is my last name . Dobbs, I said.  He looked blank. Then asks me my first name . Kathy .  Another blank look .   
    I would be lying , and venture to say the same of any caregiver  not to admit , even though fully aware of this horrible, progressive disease  that it’s still a shock , and sad , numbing and surreal that the one we have loved for so many years , and loved us in return no longer knows who we are , even our name . 
    Back at home , Gary asks if know anything about him. Yes , I say,   and  related where he was born,  the Kansas city of his childhood and the grammar school he attended there , the Junior and Senior High School he went to after he and his family moved to Compton, California ; his time in the 
Army, and afterwards college. His years working with his family’s auto parts business, and Nutritional Data, inc, the company he founded in 1979 , and successfully operated until his retirement when he sold the business in 2008. Our marriage , and two sons.  Gary  said well, that makes me feel good , if that’s true ,  that someone knows me.  He focused again on the house , saying he was just amazed I knew about this house . He asked who my grandmother was . And about my Mother . Then about the Dobbs’ , trying to remember about his Dad , and uncles .  So sad to see how he struggles with trying to fit the pieces of his life together.  I put my arm around him , and pray silently for the Lord to help my husband , to ease his path. 
    Gary wouldn’t eat all his dinner tonight because he insisted there were mites in his meal , he saw them moving . As he was becoming agitated ,  I take his plate away. 
 Soon after , it was time for his evening meds , then I help my dear one undress , and get him into bed and kiss him goodnight . 
    Sitting here now, in the quiet of the night I  must remind myself , there are  times - a few sweet moments of clarity and recognition , at least for now , I’m so grateful for  when Gary seems content , and I don’t feel so all alone 
And I can smile ,  remembering when ..... 






4 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Kathy. May those sweet moments of clarity continue to surprise you and support you in the days to come. Anne (Huck)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s a heartbreaking journey to be sure, Kath. You know I’m on that road, also, and thank God for the support we give each other. God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kathy. You give us a very real, down-to-earth sense of what your and Gary's days are like. Unpredictable challenges every day that keep you on your toes. But as you say, some occasional moments of peace too - Thank God for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last comment was from lynn Breedlove

    ReplyDelete