Friday, October 7, 2011

A Cousin's Gift, A Grandparents Love

When I grabbed the over size padded envelope from the mailbox earlier today,  I didn't  need to look at the return address to see who it was from.  I recognized the familiar handwriting,  and knew right away  it  was from my cousin, Shauna.

 Since it had been a couple months since I heard from my cousin, I was anxious to read what she and her family have been up to.   Shauna's letters are always thoughtful and caring; Full of fun and affirmation, and interesting.   I already knew she and her husband, Al  made  a trip to  Boise to visit their daughter, and grand-daughters, and  Shauna  planned  to paint a mural on the girls bedroom wall.    Blessed with a double set of creative genes, Shauna  is an immensely  talented artist, so upon opening  the envelope I happily anticipated  finding  a picture of  the newly painted mural.

 But there wasn't any picture. No, it  was something else entirely.  Something totally unexpected, totally endearing -  ever sweet, and very lovely. A precious gift from my cousin  to me,  made even more special as it  was  first given to our grandmother from our grandfather before they were married,  while Grandpa was stationed in France during World War I.  The postal card with  a  dainty  handkerchief stitched in pink,  says  Souvenir of France. The  back side is dated France 8/23/18.   Grandpa, so telling of his optimism and good cheer -even  in the midst of such  horrific times,  and of  his  love for Grandma  wrote this note:

Dearest Vera
Am fine. Could not be better. Everything is going fine here. Have not received mail since I left Meigs (sp)  Will write first chance. With  Love, Cecil.  Cecil E. Cooney  Pvt. Mobile Laundry Unit 311  A.E. Fr. 

It is addressed to:

Miss Vera Williams
20th  21 St.
Council Bluffs, Iowa
U.S.A.

On a second , smaller gift card  Grandpa had written, With the Greatest of Love, Cecil.




I read the aged note cards again and again. The very  cards my grandfather sent to my grandmother so long ago. I held them to my lips and  kissed them, then  pressed them against my heart thinking of grandpa and grandma,  and their  love for one another, remembering their love for their children and grand-children, and how very dear they were .  Thankful for the grand legacy they left to  each of us.

And of  Shauna - so generous in spirit, and  how proud  our grandparents would be of her for so  graciously sharing this beloved family treasure with her  grateful younger cousin.












1 comment: