Friday, June 10, 2011

Try To Imagine

We're told early man communicated with grunts and groans, and by drawing pictures on the wall of a cave.
The other day I tried  to imagine not having a language to express myself ;  No words to speak or write, no literary prose or poems to read. No letters, lyrics or periodicals to peruse.  The task was too taxing, I couldn't do it.  I couldn't  clear my mind of  vocabulary, and how important words  are in  allowing  us to  share thought and sentiment. To me, they seem   as vital to our emotional health  as blood flowing unrestricted  in our veins is to a healthy heart.

No, I can't  imagine not being able to say :

I love you
I like you
You make me smile
I'm happy
I'm sad
Will you forgive me ?
I forgive you 


or

Write a thank you note
Send a birthday greeting
a get well card
Keep a journal
Write a blog
Read the Bible
Sing a song


Words have a lot of power. I believe the old idiom , the pen is mightier than the sword  to be true. Words can be used   to edify or  destroy, to belittle or boost another's  efforts, to throw daggers or crown with stars.  It is always our choice in what words we use, and how we use them. Best used, words are a precious  gift to give, and receive.







1 comment:

  1. So very true!!! Thank You.........................jm

    ReplyDelete