Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Written Word

Email and texting can be quick and immediate - depending if the recipient replies within a  minute, and while  most of us today would be lost without  internet connection,   and checking our e-messages  every day, I still think there's  something special about receiving a hand written note in the U.S. Mail , or card from a friend wishing you well.

The other day  I read educators in some districts are no longer going to teach  cursive writing in school. In my opinion, a sad change in curriculum.   I remember my own grade school years and thought about the dedicated   nuns and how they placed such  importance on their students  learning good  penmanship. Besides being  a discipline in perseverance , we were learning a skill  - knowing how to write our thoughts  would allow  us to communicate in another away. Everyday we  would practice writing letters of the alphabet, then whole words , and eventually full sentences over and over until it met with Sister's approval.

I then thought about the handwritten letters  and journals throughout history - many of them  held sacred , displayed   in museums and other great archives - letters of popes, poet, kings, queens, presidents and layman describing their place and time in the world.  Not only  do they tell us of a particular  era, but also   a part of  who they were are preserved in the actual writing of their own words, in their own hand.

Finally, I thought about letters and notes written to me by  those I know and have known, those  I   love  and hold dear - some  no longer on this earth. To  re-read  their  words written  personally to me brings a smile to my face and  joy to my heart. In their hand written word, a part of them still near.

No comments:

Post a Comment