Sunday, October 24, 2010

THIS DAY

Tonight I'm still 59 years old. Tomorrow  I won't  be.  Today I spent the day doing  everyday,   ordinary, extraordinary  things. Rising early to say morning prayers, smiling at the sound of my husband's voice, "Good morning, honey.  You stay in bed, I'll   make the coffee".   Later  we watch Fox News Sunday  and get ready for church.  I speak with my mother on the phone and read an email from my dad.  I start a fire in our wood burning stove. Gary goes to the garage and lets Missy dog out, then brings Sam E. Beagle upstairs.  A few days ago Sam suffered a seizure of some sort, so we want to keep him comfortable and quiet.

 After Mass  Gary and I  stop for breakfast at Elmer's  on Highway 95.   Gary orders  his usual basted eggs and ham; i tried something new -  a grilled chicken, white cheddar cheese  and pear wrap.  Yes, I know it sounds unusual, but trust me,   it's delicious !

We talk about our sons, and the grand-children.  The week before,  our youngest grand-daughter sent us 'Flat Stanley' with a note explaining 'Flat Stanley' is a visitor to our area and asked us if  we  would please take him to see some of the sights in Coeur d' Alene, then return him to her second grade glass in Apple Valley  with pictures and souvenirs.

We talk about  my birthday tomorrow.  60 years old.   We reminisce about our first date.  I was  only 25 then.  We marvel at how  fast the years have gone by.     Gary says he'd like to buy me a  'no-shed'  puppy.   i'm pleased and know  my husband is being  thoughtful, but am worried about our Beagle,  Sam and how he would react to a new puppy in the house... especially now when he  is so old and his physical health is on the decline. i tell Gary as much as i'd like a new puppy,  i think it best if we wait for awhile.

Instead of a puppy we decide a North Face fleece would be a  nice gift. Although my birthday isn't until tomorrow   we drive to Tri-State Outfitters.  This is a very sweet gesture on my husband's part as he absolutely hates shopping,  and anyone who knows me also knows it takes  a long time for me to make up my mind whenever i contemplate buying something new.  As it  turns out, my husbands gift isn't anything money can buy, but his  gift of  ' patience', and enduring love as he waits and watches me try on jacket after jacket.

  Although there were many fine North Face jackets at Tri- State ,  I couldn't decide on one (no surprise)  ,  and we left the store  empty handed.  At the recommendation of the Tri-State sales clerk we made  another stop at Finn - McDonald  in the Coeur d Alene Resort Mall.  There we hit the jackpot !  A perfect fit, (and color) North Face zipper fleece. Not only a zipper fleece, but a lovely multi-colored  scarf  to wear with the fleece.  The  sales clerk even took the time to show  me three or four different ways to tie the scarf.  i left the store  happy, and my husband was pleased about giving me a birthday gift he knew i liked a lot.

When we got back  home  our son, Gavin  greeted us saying,  "Hey, mom, Stacy and me are fixing the family dinner tonight.  How do taco's sound?"  

As in one voice, both Gary and I said, "Sounds great!".

I   couldn't wait to wear my 'birthday' fleece and take a walk down the hill.  Knowing Gavin and Stacy were in charge of dinner, off i went to trek through  Dobbs' Woods.    The wind was blowing, the air brisk and cool; Rays of sun streaked through broken clouds.  I stare  at the whitecaps swirling the lake, and watch two seagulls swoon high and low.  I contemplate the beauty surrounding  me,  and reflect on the day. An ordinary, extraordinary day like so many others.   I think about tonight when I go to bed I'll still be 59, but  upon waking  tomorrow I'll be 60 years old.   One decade will end, another to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment