Friday, August 6, 2010

THESE SUMMER DAYS (and memories of my brother)

Summer days filled with love
and laughter; Happy visits
with aunts, uncles and cousins,
and very dear friends.
Just underneath all the chatter
and smiles
is the constant reminder
my brother is gone.
While  not my son, or beloved fair
he was my companion from early youth;
The one i grew up with, played with,
protected and loved.
i miss our merriment in being together,
 and how we reminisced about the past,
and doing silly things , like posing
for pictures on concrete deer.
i miss his voice, and his  chiding
me for being too serious; The twinkle
in his eye.
i mourn the loss of the 
deep, abiding bond we shared
and am sorrowed with the
final  understanding
no more birthdays to celebrate
or gifts for him to buy. No more
present or future plans to secure;
only the memory of a
gentle spirit; A kind hearted man
forever young, forever fifty-five.

3 comments:

  1. I understand totally. As you celebrate the time you had together may all those wonderful memories help fill and warm the emptiness still languishing in your heart. God be with you. - Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, it's such a empty feeling when we lose our loved ones, hopefully you believe you will be with him again someday. . .however I do still celebrate my parents and brothers birthdays, just much more subtle, it just a little talk and birthday with to them. I decorate their graves and feel the tranquility around me. . . it's never the same, but aren't we blessed that the Lord gave us a brain to store the "wonderful memories" could you imagine not having them? love ya take care.

    Rose

    I love and appreciate your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great picture- and sentiment. I have tears- some for our loss and some at how happy the two of you are here. Happy and sad tears mixed together- this is how we must go on for now, knowing that at some point all of the emptiness will be filled with the joy of life that Walt had and wanted us all to share. Love you Kath for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete