Saturday, June 6, 2009

WORDS

The Beegees 1968 song "Words" has always been one of my favorites; I particularly like the lyrics : "It's only words and words are all I have to take your heart away". I was thinking about the use of words today, and how certain words can sometimes mean different things to different people, especially when trying to express feelings or convey a point of view. Sadly, I know there's been times I've hurt a friend or family member because the word I used wasn't interpreted in the way I intended, and vice- versa.

Some words are harsh and critical thrown at another like a hand grenade in the heat of battle, breaking a person's spirit. The better words are more like a soothing balm giving relief to aching muscles ; they encourage and uplift another. What child doesn't grow taller when her parent says to her, " I'm so proud of you", or a friend that says, 'I like you because..", or the husband telling his wife , "I'd marry you all over again". But perhaps the best words are, " I'm sorry", "I forgive you", and "I love you unconditionally, now and forever".

Emily Dickinsen wrote:

"A word is dead when it it is said some say.
I say it just begins to live that day"

Whether our words live for good or bad depends on us and the words we choose to use.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, This is the most beautiful poem yet. They just keep getting better and better, if that's possible. Bravo Girl!!!

    ReplyDelete