Wednesday, April 11, 2012

PENCIL, PAPER & PENMANSHIP

The past few months I've read several stories about  hand writing  no longer being taught in many school districts,  and how the art of  handwriting may even become extinct, giving way to technology - text, type and tweet.   Just this last Sunday it was the  lead story on the front page of the Spokesman Review . According to the article, The federal government's new "common core" standards include a composition component but leave out handwriting altogether, which has sparked much debate among researchers  and educators.


Wow. Hard to believe. It seems to me  not teaching students how to write, is paramount to denying them a new language , an important way to communicate way of the written word.  I wonder, if students don't learn how to write , how will  they know how to read the  long hand letters written throughout  history by philosopher, poet and politician?  Or sign their name to an important document ?  Just think how different our Declaration of Independence would look without the great signatures of those grand men.

Most of us of a certain age can easily recall the handwriting chart hanging above the blackboard in our elementary school classroom, and the joy we felt as second graders  knowing we would no longer print  our words but would  learn how to write cursive, and how that seemed a small entry into the world of grown-up communication.   I remember the good  Sisters of Notre Dame who taught at the parochial school I attended ,  had the most perfect penmanship, and wanted their students to have the same. Penmanship was part of our curriculum, and time each day was given to the practice of writing letters of the alphabet.  Our homework assignments included the same. When we wrote an essay for English or History, the neatness of our penmanship was taken into account.

                                               

The Palmer method  - a system that dominated most of the 20th Century  emphasized four qualities Palmer saw essential to good writing : Legibility, rapidity, ease and endurance.  While Palmer's method  set a standard and stressed conformity,  each individual still has their own unique handwriting style. As example,  when receiving a letter from friend or family member,  I only need look at the writing on the envelope to know who it's from. In that sense,  handwriting is part of our identification, like the way we walk or talk.

I  think now of the lyrics to the once familiar School Days song

School days, school days
dear old golden rule days
readin' and writing and 'rithmetic
taught to the tune of a hickory stick


and smile. I  only hope handwriting and  penmanship will not be lost  to our nation's  school children, but continue to  hold a  place of value, and importance   in the educational system.

** NOTE: There are many on-line sites referencing  penmanship & handwriting . I list one here

http://cultureandcommunication.org/deadmedia/index.php/Palmer_Method_of_Penmanship






4 comments:

  1. Definitely food for thought....well written, Kath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it does give us something to think about.........thank you for sharing your thoughts on this.

    jm

    ReplyDelete
  3. The next verse of “School Days” goes,

    You were my queen in calico.
    I was your bashful, barefoot beau.
    And you wrote on my slate, “I love you,”
    When we were a couple of kids.

    I learned that from an old Bing Crosby album. That song goes back to the early 20th century (written in 1907) before we had Indian Chief pencil tablets. That was also the time when school books were carried home secured with a belt that schoolchildren slung over their shoulders, before backpacks.

    Kathy, having attended the same school with you for eight years, I can feel your pain.

    I, too, always marveled at the practically flawless handwriting of the Sisters of Notre Dame. I still have examples of their signatures from my grade school diploma and report cards. My mother told me about the Palmer method which dominated her handwriting, as well as my father's. I own a manual for the Palmer Method. I also found it as a pdf and saved it.

    Sr. M. Angelista was so insistent in sixth grade on good penmanship that halfway through the school year I bought a new composition book and re-copied my geography notebook with my improved handwriting that she had caused by her teaching methods. I was scared of getting a bad grade because of my handwriting. I wish I still had those two notebooks so I could show what teachers can do when left free to teach.

    And watch any young person at a restaurant taking your order. Watch how he or she holds the pen. They grip it like a microphone, or hold it between their middle and ring fingers. If handwriting is still taught, it’s not taught very well. We were taught how to properly hold our writing instruments.

    The only hope to keep the art of penmanship alive may be calligraphy. Our local Barnes & Noble bookstore sells calligraphy materials.

    What I want to know is, how did you rate a personalized diploma in Sr. M. Agnesine’s handwriting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy & Patty, I appreciate your comments about penmanship ,& thank you Paul for your insights, & remembrance of our grade school days & the importance of good handwriting

    ReplyDelete