Friday, October 28, 2011

Vinyl Records & Bing (Crosby)

 On the way  driving to  Clarkston Thursday, my mother and I   stopped at a thrift store in Moscow. I was delighted to find a collection of Bing Crosby vinyl (78) records from the 1940's, and quickly purchased them.   They are thick and heavy, like records were at that time - allowing for a deep, rich sound,  and  recorded on Bing's long time  label, Decca.

Everybody has their favorite male singer. For many, maybe most,  Frank Sinatra is considered   the best pop vocalist of the twentieth century. No doubt, Frank had a great voice, but for me, Bing Crosby is the voice beyond compare.  His is like a finely tuned instrument so sweetly, and beautifully played.

I could hardly wait to get back to the house and listen to Bing sing.  For an hour mom and I sat in the charm of her downstairs family room, and played record after record.  Pleased at their good condition, and quality of sound, we agreed it was like having Bing right there in the room , singing to us alone , in his vibrant, melodic  baritone;  Night and Day, Begin the Beguine, Far Away Places, and Tarra, Ta-Lara Ta Lar.


Later that night , after I was in bed and said my prayers, I thought  how wonderful   it was that  a man long dead , a man who recorded his first song before either my mother or I were born continues to bring a smile to others by the tunes  he croons.



1 comment: